Hoping to get my first axolotl soon, I have questions!
Hi guys! New to the forum and I'm so glad there's a place like this. I have been doing a lot of research reading and watching videos about axolotls, and asking various people for information. But I thought this would be a fantastic place to get some more specific questions answered, so I will list them for them to be easier and more organised. I hope that's okay!
1) When cleaning out the tank, I heard it's good to take out the water with a gallon jug. Of course I know not to take out all the water, but when I fill the jug back up to put clean tap water in, how long should I wait to pour it in the tank after putting in some of the conditioner to treat it? Do I pour it in as soon as I've poured it in or wait a certain amount of time?
2) When cleaning the tank, is it best to take the axolotl out or to leave it in there? And if I put it in a separate thing, should I still treat that water before putting the little fella in?
3) I live in the South of England. Anyone who lives here or knows the temperatures well, do I need to get a fan or chiller? And if I do, do I only need to use it in the summer in the day time/any specific times? Does it make a lot of noise or can you get quiet ones?
4) I'm a little confused about filters. I plan to get a 20 gallon tank, and I know the filter needs to have a low flow as to not stress the axolotl out. But I don't know what a good size, brand, model, etc. I should get. I've been looking on Amazon but I've been confused. Can people link or recommend any specific ones? Thank you!
5) How often and how much do they need to be fed, and do I need to clean the worms before feeding them to the axolotl? Should I clean them in treated water or is tap water alone fine?
6) I heard with some health problems axolotls encounter require salt baths or tea baths. How long should I have the axolotl in there should it happen? And should I put conditioner in to treat the bath before putting the axolotl in?
7) Do I ever need to change the sand that goes in the tank? I know about spot cleaning with a turkey baster and about moving the sand around with my hand to get the dirt up and stuff, but does the sand ever need changing? If it does, how do I do it?
Sorry this is a bit lengthy, I just want to know everything to make sure I get this right! Thank you everyone! ❤️ ?