Axolotl Safe Chemicals / Medications
Remember your Axolotl is an amphibian. This means that chemicals and medication that work wonders for your aquarium fish may not work at all, or even worse may be very toxic to them. Here is a list of safe and non-safe medication. Most of if not all of the safe medication and chemicals, can be purchased in the marketplace.
Anything that contains copper, malachite green, sulphur, iodine and any products that are not recommended for amphibians.
- Sterazin (Waterlife) - contains malachite green and possibly other toxins.
- Cuprazin (Waterlife) - probably contains copper sulphate and other toxic cuprous .......compounds.
- Protozin (Waterlife) - People have been known to use this without killing their Axolotl, but others and the manufacturer do not recommend this product for amphibians. It is suspected to contains cuprous compounds although the manufacturer won't disclose this information.
- Clout (Manufacturer unknown) - contains malachite green.
- "Rid-rot" (Tetra) - Company states it's unsafe for amphibians but people have used it with no apparent ill effects.
- Myxazin (Waterlife) - Has been used without any problems and Waterlife reports that it doesn't think it has any problems for amphibians, but they recommended a half dosage.
- "The Complete Remedy" (Manufacturer unknown) - seems to only contain sodium chlorite.
- Nitrofura-G (Aquatronics).
- Maracyn (Mardel Labs) - contains the antibiotic erythromycin.
- "Sulfa-bath" (Tetra).
- Methylene blue - non-toxic in low dosages.
- Furan-2 (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) - good all-around anti-bacterial medication - highly ...... recommended.
- Melafix (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) - effective against external sores.
- Panacur - at low dosage levels - effective against internal parasites, specifically .......roundworms.
- Flagyl, also known as metronidazole - Used at a lower dosage than for reptiles, it appears .......to be safe for use as an anti-parasitic treatment in food (inject it into a waxworm or other .......convenient food). It also stimulates appetite.